25 March 2011

Spring Time in Utrecht

Anyone reading my posts consistently will know that I often promote the idea of walking around, perhaps with a coffee and a notebook, and generally enjoying beautiful weather. It's not particularly revolutionary suggestion, but it's worth noting that this city is quite beautiful, and as Spring really 'comes into bloom', the city really comes alive--people are populating parks and outdoor cafes, laughing, soaking up the warm air.

Walking around the center of town, however, especially on a Saturday, can be a nightmare. There are so many people in the shopping district (the area just around the Winkel van Sinkel), that it feels as if you're waiting in line to move forward. My suggestion is to get out of the center of town; there are so many great places in the outer parts of the city, and I find that every week I familiarize myself with a new area of town, each with its own feel and architecture. Some of my favorite parts are just above Wilhelmina Park (and the park itself), the Utrecht Train Museum and the area surrounding it, and just northwest of the city center following the canal.

No comments:

Post a Comment